Our Lady of the Rocks Island

Our Lady of the Rocks is one of the two islets off the coast of Perast. The island was artificially created and contains a Roman Catholic Church. According to a legend, after finding the icon of Madonna and Child here on July 22, 1452, seaman would lay a rock in the sea after returning from a successful voyage. Over time, the islet gradually emerged from the sea. The custom of throwing rocks into the sea is alive even nowadays. Every year on the sunset of July 22 local residents take their boats and throw rocks into the sea.

Artificial islet of Our Lady of the Rocks off the coast of Perast in the Bay of Kotor

Artificial islet of Our Lady of the Rocks off the coast of Perast in the Bay of Kotor

The Church of Our Lady of the Rocks was built in 1632. The church contains 68 paintings by Tripo Kokolja, a famous 17th-century baroque artist from Perast. His most important painting, ten meters long, is The Death of the Virgin. There are also paintings by Italian artists, and an icon of Our Lady of the Rocks, by Lovro Dobricevic of Kotor.

Taxi boats regularly go to the island for around €3.