Island of Saint George

The Island of Saint George (Ostrvo Sveti Ðorde) is one of the two islets off the coast of Perast, the other being Gospa od Škrpjela. Unlike Gospa od Škrpjela, it is a natural island.

The island contains the Saint George Benedictine monastery which was first mentioned in 1166 in documents describing the consecration of the new, second Romanesque church of St. Tryphon in Kotor. In 1571, the pirate Karadoz burnt down the abbey as well as the whole town of Perast. The church was repaired in 1603 but was heavily damaged again in an 1667 earthquake when the ceiling and apse collapsed. Following this catastrophe, a simple church was built. In 1812, for about a year, the abbey was taken over by the French who were later expelled by the inhabitants of Perast from both the Fortress of St. Cross and the abbey. In 1814, the abbey was taken over by the Austrians.

Island of St. George near Perast, Montenegro

The island also contains an old graveyard for the old nobility from Perast. It remained a burial place until 1866, when a new graveyard was built in the northern part of the town.